Advocate

MTA tracks and monitors proposed laws and legislation affecting our members and the tourism industry. MTA also hosts a legislative reception annually during the legislative session, as well as sponsoring the “Friends of Tourism” Awards, which are presented to those legislators and government officials who have shown the strongest support for the industry.

For those of us in the tourism industry, we know the impact of what we do for the Mississippi economy. Share the impact with those around you. 

  • Travel and Tourism produced $449 MILLION in state tax revenues and $177 MILLION in city/county tax revenues from visitor spending and other revenue sources…a combined $625 MILLION.
  • Travel and Tourism tax revenues contributed about $388.7 million to our state’s $5.4 billion General Fund, or 7.2%–$1 out of every $14.
  • Travel and Tourism is our fourth-largest private sector employer. It accounts for 85,135 direct jobs, or 7.6% of our non-farm jobs, and an additional 32,550 indirect and induced jobs, or 2.9%. These equal 117,685 total jobs…10.5% of all non-farm jobs. The Travel and Tourism Employment Multiplier = 1.52.

Why dollars are needed to promote Mississippi Tourism