Tourism is economic development in its truest form. As the 4th largest private sector employer in Mississippi, our thriving industry accounts for over 86,600 direct jobs. Last year, 23 million people visited our state and spent $6.3 BILLION dollars. Tourism means NEW money to our state everyday as one of Mississippi’s top export-driven industries. For more than 20 years, the Mississippi Tourism Association has represented Mississippi’s tourism industry. Our goal is to serve as the statewide voice for all segments within the hospitality industry and to ensure the travel and tourism industry receives adequate attention on all legislative matters.
-Rochelle Hicks, Executive Director
Mississippi Tourism Association
Mississippi Travel and Tourism Industry FY 2016 Figures
- $6.3 BILLION was spent by Travelers and Tourists.
- 23 million travelers and tourists visited Mississippi. 67% of Mississippi’s visitors were from out-of-state.
- Travel and Tourism is our fourth-largest private sector employer. It accounts for 86,600 direct jobs and an additional 37,580 indirect jobs.
- Annual direct payroll income for Travel and Tourism employees was $1.84 BILLION.
- Travel and Tourism provided $583 per Mississippi household in tax relief.
- Travel and Tourism produced $461 MILLION in state tax revenues and $178 MILLION in city/county tax revenues from visitor spending and other revenue sources…a combined $639 MILLION.